My life was judged this weekend by how much perceived time I spend in WoW. The person that made this assessment knows almost nothing about me, but does play WoW themselves. I do not know this person outside of the game, and I do not know them well inside of the game either. But on Saturday night, they began to criticize my life, my relationships…and of all things my dog (yea…I have a schnauzer, she barks at everything, it happens to be a schnauzer trait, it doesn’t mean that I’m ignoring my dog). When I calmly advised them that they knew nothing about my life, I was met with “You have 6 80′s, I know all I need to know about your life”. Now, I actually only have 5 80′s. But seriously? How the fuck does the number of characters I level to 80 become a reflection on how I live my life?
I thought that I could just let this go, but I can’t and it has been eating at me for two days now. It really, truly bothers me. I am just baffled that someone who doesn’t even know me, judged my life based on the number of level 80 toons I posses. I know that I shouldn’t care, that this person is absolutely nobody to me, and that I should just brush it off and not think twice about it. But I am proud of the accomplishments in my life, and to have somebody come in and tell me my life is shit has me incensed enough to feel that I need to review with someone…anyone, how I spend my free time.
- First off my significant other also plays wow (and oddly enough, has MORE 80′s than I do). WoW is something that we both enjoy, and play together. Neither of us are into the “club” scene. Neither of us are into the “going out” scene. And we both like video games. I fail to see how doing something that you enjoy with your S/O makes you a failure at life. Or how it means that you are sacrificing your relationship to, you know, do something with the other person in that relationship.
- Somewhat on that same note, do you know what we’d do if we were playing WoW?! Likely be playing something else…or becoming couch potatoes. You know, those people who spend MORE time in front of the TV than I spend in WoW. But, if they are sitting in front of the TV melting their brains that is OK, because they aren’t leveling another 80 in WoW, so they MUST be making better life decisions than I am, amirite?
- Things I like to do outside of WoW: Watch movies, drag Brade to musical theatre, read, play with my puppy and enjoy peachbellinis.
- Things that I do outside of WoW: Watch movies, drag Brade to musical theatre, read, play with my puppy and enjoy peachbellinis. Imagine that! I do ALL of those things…even with 5 level 80′s. Oh…you know what else I manage squeeze into my life? A full time job. I don’t know…something about responsibility. But, of course, I couldn’t know anything about that, because I have 5 level 80s, and clearly people with 5 level 80′s can’t maintain a life.
- Do you know WHY I have 5 level 80′s (and will likely have more before the next expansion hits)? BECAUSE I ENJOY LEVELING. And do you know what happens when you level? YOU REACH THE LEVEL CAP. Which happens to be…level 80. Heaven forbid I actually partake in something I enjoy. It’s only MY life after all.
- My enjoyment with WoW ebbs and flows. Sometimes I spend a lot of my free time in the game and sometimes I’m only in the game when I raid (15 hours a week), and then log out right after. But it’s my choice how often I play. I don’t stay up all hours of the night to play, I get to bed at a reasonable hour because I don’t like being tired at work. And because I like watching a spot of Law and Order, NCIS or Monk before falling asleep.
- WoW remains cheap entertainment. Hi, I have student loans that I’d like to pay off before I die. You know what that means? I am more than content to stay home and entertain myself than go out and spend money that I really shouldn’t. It’s this little thing known as fiscal responsibility, but of course, I wouldn’t know anything about that having 5 80′s.
- Last but not least…I HAVE FUN playing WoW. I do play a lot in my free time, but it’s because I enjoy it. It’s not the only thing that I enjoy doing in my free time, and it’s not the only thing I do in my free time. If I am guilty of shirking anything because of the time I spend in WoW, it’s getting some exercise in. But guess what?!?! I sucked at that long before WoW, and will probably still suck at it long after I quit WoW.
So, you know what? Yes, I have 5 80′s. I am proud of my 5 80′s. You know what else? I also have a very stable, healthy life outside of WoW. I don’t have anything to prove to you random person that deems themself in a position to pass judgment upon me, even though I feel obligated to defend myself. You are nobody to me, are in no way involved in my life, and have no basis in which to judge me. So fuck off.