Archive for the ‘Community’ Category

Granny Smith’s Shattrath Surprise   9 comments

In case you haven’t heard yet, Angelya is hosting a Harvest Festival Bake Off. She has asked her readers to create a submission of their favorite fall recipes using ingredients found around Azeroth, and give a small explanation as to why they have chose their recipe to share with the community.

This is my submission. I have called it “Granny Smith’s Shattrath Surprise” but it is better known around my household as my mother’s apple crisp. In our family she is practically famous for it. Anytime we go to a family gathering and we are asked to bring something, everyone requests mom’s apple crisp. I have picked up this tradition by also introducing it to those I know out here on the West Coast, and anytime Brade and I go to a gathering where we will be enjoying each others company and good food, I bring along mom’s apple crisp. Truth be told, I have no idea where she picked up the recipe, but it is one of my favorite things by far. And so, I’d like to share with all of you the joy that is Mom’s apple crisp.

Enjoy!

Granny Smith’s Shattrath Surprise

Ingredient List:

8 – 12 Goldenbark Apples (You will want a tart apple for this, I prefer Johnathan, but Granny Smith Apples work very well also).

2/3 cup fine sand (granulated white sugar)

1-2 cups simple flour

1/2 – 1 cup Lard’s Lunch (butter)

2 teaspoons Mild Spices (Cinnamon)

1/2 – 1 cup granulated sweet root (Dark Brown Sugar)

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • This recipe can be made in two sizes: Large (9 x 13 pan) or Small (9 x 9) pan.  I will provide directions for both sizes, along with a few chef’s notes, which will be annotated by a “*”.
  • Peel, core and slice apples.  You will need 12 apples for a large batch, and 8 apples for a small batch.  *Please note these are for small Jonathan apples.  If you are using today’s larger apples, you will not need as many.  I tend to use 5 large Granny Smith’s for a small batch. An apple corer/peeler/slicer works wonderfully for this!
  • Using a large bowl, combine apples with 2/3 cup fine sand, 4 tablespoons simple flour and 2 teaspoons of mild spices.  *I tend to add a touch extra cinnamon and a touch of extra sugar to mine.
  • Mix well until all of the apples are coated and place into baking pan.
  • Cut two tablespoons Lard’s Lunch, and place on top of apple mixture. *I tend to cut the butter in such a fashion that I can place a piece in each quarter and in the center of the pan.
  • In a separate bowl, mix topping using your hands or a pastry mixer.  The topping will be crumbly.
    • For a small pan combine 1 cup simple flour, 1/2 cup Lard’s Lunch and 1/2 cup granulated sweet root.
    • For a large pan combine 2 cups simple flour, 1 cup Lard’s Lunch and 1 cup granulated sweet root.
    • * I really enjoy the toping, so I tend to make a small batch – but like my mother – utilize the large pan’s topping mix for a little extra nom.
      • *You do not want your butter rock hard out of the fridge, but not fully softened either.  I partially soften the butter for the topping before mixing it.
  • Sprinkle topping over Apple mixture.
  • Bake 45 minutes, or until top is browned and apples are tender.
    • *I have found that a large batch may take closer to an hour to cook – but keep an eye on it so you do not burn the topping!
  • Remove from oven and serve!

The crisp is best served warm – and will reheat very well!  It is very tasty with a scoop of  Tigole and Furor’s Vanilla or Cinnamon Ice Cream!  

I hope that you enjoy!  Please let me know if you have any questions with regards to the recipe itself.

Warning – I will not be responsible for any injuries that are a result of a mad dash for seconds!

Posted September 6, 2010 by Beruthiel in Community, Just for Fun!

Community Spotlight – Welcome!   7 comments

I remember when I first started blogging Bellweather came by and visited and asked me if I wanted to be featured as the “new blogger of the week” over on the Twisted Nether. My reply to her was “I have no idea exactly what that is, but I’d love to!”. She did an interview with me and introduced me to the blogosphere, and I remember how nervous and grateful I was to have someone that took a bit of an interest in my tiny little corner of the blogosphere. Heck! I even remember my very first commenter :) /wave Keeva

Well – as I’ve been stretching my old and tired legs across the blogosphere some lately I’ve come across some really great new(er) blogs. That is blogs that have started up within the past 6 months or so. I wanted to do my part in making these bloggers feel as welcome as Bell made me feel when I first timidly dipped my toes into the blogging waters, because blogging can be a bit scary when you first stick your thoughts out there!

So if you have a few extra minutes please go stop by, start up some conversation and welcome some new bloggers! (and let’s see if I cannot fail at the links this week! *ahem*)

Moonra gives us his thoughts on Druids and Healing and has some great thoughts about where Druid healing is headed in Cataclysm.

Jar has some great discussion on ways that DPS will be able to help healers as we struggle to find our niche in Cataclsym.

Ecclesiastical Discipline gives some insight on how leveling and learning to heal on different classes makes you rethink how you heal on your other healers.

Malevica offers some thoughts on what healers would like the raid to know, and did a great write up on the new beta default UI.

Lara gives her take on some of the interesting things that happen as you level and utilize the LFD tool .

Oestrus just did a fantastic analysis on how the new healing trinket from Ruby Sanctum works for Druids.

Liala discusses some of the challenges that you might face leveling as a healer.

Aunna offers some discussion on how the changes to the healing classes are playing out in Beta.

Welcome (a little belated for a few!) to the WoW blogosphere! I am looking forward to reading more of your musings :)

Posted August 20, 2010 by Beruthiel in Community

But It’s Not Even Friday!   8 comments

I don’t know that I’ve ever done a community link post previously, but I’ve been reading a lot of interesting things lately and I wanted to share! And because there may be some silence here over the next few days as I entertain my mom, who is coming to visit tomorrow, I could think of no better way to help everyone occupy your brains than to give you some food for thought on posts that had me thinking!

Enjoy!

Borsk has a very good commentary on some difficult decisions that he and his guild leadership had to make as they set their goals at the end of this expansion.

Ecclesiastical Discipline considers what motivates raiders.

Xeppe Struggles with making some difficult decisions about her guild, and her future.

Aunna Takes a look at mana management, and offers some tips to avoid going OOM. Certainly something to consider as we approach Cataclysm!

Vidyala offers a different perspective of the Moon Guard server.

Angelya provides advice on how to set up a healing UI.

Oombulance offers a healers defense to my question “Do Healers Have A Bad Attidude?”.

The Save Dragons go PvP Guild Takes a stance on Gearscore! (Kudos to you guys!).

Cassandri Provides some pointers for DPS on what they can do to while away their time in the LFD queue (and keep them from going AFK when their queue pops!).

Moonra Contemplates the future of HoTs.

And if you haven’t taken the time to view a few Postcards from Azeroth, you really are missing out!

Posted August 11, 2010 by Beruthiel in Community

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 148 other followers