Archive for the ‘Community’ Category

Know Any New Bloggers? I Want To Know About Them!   6 comments

When I first started blogging, I remember getting a note from Bellweather telling me that she’d like to introduce me to the blogosphere via The Twisted Nether’s Welcome Wagon, and asked me if I’d be interested in being featured. Now, I had no idea what the Twisted Nether was, but I knew what a Welcome Wagon was – and I was flattered that my little blog was chosen to be welcomed into the blogosphere by another blogger. (In case you are wondering The Welcome Wagon is a spotlight post done over at the Twisted Nether site that highlights an up and coming blogger – tells you a little about them, about their blog, etc).

Well, time passes as it’s prone to do, and with the passage of time change inevitably happens. Since the time Bell took an interest in me, she has stopped playing WoW and retired her blog. As a result of that the Twisted Nether Welcome Wagon also disappeared into, well, the nether I suppose!

Remembering how amazing it felt to have someone take an interest in my new blog, from time to time I did “community spotlight” posts that featured newer blogs here on my blog – as I know other bloggers have also done from time to time as well. But somehow it’s not quite the same. As a brand new blogger there is nothing more empowering, or builds more confidence, than having someone take an interest in your blog and what you have to say.

So, when Fimlys was looking for people who might want to do some articles for the Twisted Nether, I queried into if anyone had picked up Bell’s reigns on the Welcome Wagon. And much to my surprise, nobody had. Naturally, having been so positively influenced by this project, I offered to continue the column for the Twisted Nether.

And this is where all of you come in! I’ve been digging around for some new bloggers to spotlight for the Welcome Wagon to get it rolling (har) again, but let’s be honest here…I am only one person and there are so many new and fantastic blogs out there that I simply can’t hope to catch them all! So, if you come across a new blog that you think would be a perfect candidate for an introduction via the Welcome Wagon, please let me know by sending an email to fallingleaves51@gmail.com.

I think Fimlys is going to run them on Tuesdays (not 100% sure) – to give everyone something to do while passing the maintenance hours away. So keep an eye out for them – and support those who are just starting to emerge into the blogsphere! And remember, as you peruse through new blogs, there is nothing more encouraging for a new member of the community than receiving comments. In fact, I still remember who gave me my first comment (/wave Keeva) and how excited I was to see that little “1” next to my post!

Posted January 11, 2011 by Beruthiel in Community

Holy Battle.Net Batman!   6 comments

The following is a post that I wrote for the guys over at the Twisted Nether, and if you are unfamiliar with Twisted Nether and Blog Azeroth, I can’t encourage you enough to go over there and explore! Because I think that the new community features are so neat, and I’m sure that not everyone is familiar with Twisted Nether (really! go check them out!), I wanted to share them here as well!

WoW Forums Home

It seems that Deathwing will not be the only person bringing changes to Azeroth as we know it, something new and exciting seems to be afoot over on the new WoW community site, including the introduction of the new battle.net based forums!  My name is Beruthiel and I’m here today to give you a little bit of a primer on how to navigate the new forums.  While you are trying to find your way around this unchartered territory, please take note that there are several new and exciting areas that are still under construction – including the migration of your realm forums over to the new battle.net system.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted November 6, 2010 by Beruthiel in Changes, Community, Forums

The Feedreader Ate My Homework?   7 comments

Something that folks may not know about me is that to date I have never used a feed reader type thing to follow the blogs that I read. I have always individually visited each blog site to see if there was a new update, and to read any posts or what not. I enjoyed this practice because it let me actually see the website design, and get a little bit of a view into the personality of the blogger behind the blog.

However, as I found new blogs and added them to my favorites bar, I would spend a good deal of time individually going to each blog and checking for an update when perhaps there wasn’t one. So much time, that on days/weeks when I was very busy, it was a prohibitive task for me to do, and I would end up missing a great deal, just because I didn’t have time to make it through my list. But not only that, I started feeling guilty for the amount of time I was spending looking for new posts. Something that used to take me 30-45 minutes of my morning while I was settling into the office was now taking much longer. Frankly, I was devoting more time than I should have been looking for everyone’s most recent writings.

As I shared my blog surfing habits with others, they were shocked that I didn’t use some sort of feed reader. And so as my favorites tab grew, I started looking into some of the more popular feed readers that were available…only to find out that the majority of them were blocked by my office. Which didn’t help my situation – at all. However, yesterday I found a feed reader that I could access from the office (for now, anyhow), and so I decided that I would convert over from physically visiting each site to having a feed reader pull information for me.

Once I got everything entered in, I realized that I follow almost 100 different blogs. No wonder it had become so overwhelming! My hope is that moving over to a feed reader will make keeping up with everyone more efficient and help me manage what has seemingly become a massive amount of wonderful writing and thoughts.

So I want to apologize if I no longer see the hard work that you’ve put into the structure of your blog with the frequency that I used to, but I also hope that you understand :)

And on a more WoW News Related Note, here are some snippets of today’s news!

* The Soulstone/Rebirth conundrum has finally been clarified for us! The short of it is that in a 10 man raid setting you can only have 1 in combat resurrection; and in a 25 man setting you can only have 3 in combat resurrections.

*As you may have already noticed if you visited an official forum, the new WoW forums are active! Apparently there are some formatting issues with them, so prepare to be frustrated if you want things like, oh, paragraphs, until that gets resolved.

*Also along those same lines, there is a new WoW Armory! From what I can tell, it looks very cool, so if you haven’t taken a gander over there yet, I would strongly encourage you to do so. And hey! It shows reforging!

Happy Friday Everyone! If I don’t talk to you before then, I’ll see you on the flip side of the weekend!

Posted November 5, 2010 by Beruthiel in Changes, Community

Community Spotlight   5 comments

It’s been a little while again since I’ve done a community spotlight post (and I promise, I’ll try to be sure all my links work!), and I thought that it was the perfect time for another. So, while I am away at Blizzcon, I thought that I’d point you to a few other good blogs to check out!

Hamlet does some moonkin math on Starsurge and offers a video and some commentary on one of the Beta Test raids where he is healing as a Resto Druid.

Jasyla has put together some fantastic guides to who can provide the new raid debuffs and raid buffs with Cataclysm/4.0.1.

Kae has humorously given the community some advice on how to recognize good green goo and bad green goo while raiding!

Icedragon is going to be live blogging Blizzcon, and invites you to join in the conversation!

Saga does a great post on collecting, and subsequently enjoying, WoW Memories.

Erinys offers some really great a Chakra tips, as well as ways to get your guild to use Lightwell (with macros!).

Llani gives us a fantastic primer on creating your own custom art for use in Power Auras. You know, in case Jesus and 1 UP Mushrooms don’t do it for you ;)

Vidyala had a really great week of guests posts while she was on vacation that all gave different perspectives on PuGs. Most of them were humorous in nature, and it’s worth taking a gander over to see what folks had to say.

Syl offered a great look at the three Chakra states and what makes each unique.

Jar gives us some napkin math on how Int and Spirit are battling it out for our prime regen stat.

Angelya has a guide to hitting up all those pesky trick or treat buckets during Hallow’s End. It’s great XP or easy money, depending on your level!

Maelvica did a fantastic guide to learning to heal with Smite. It includes several great macros and some nifty Power Aura strings!

Nathain and Larisa both give their opinions on the Cataclysm Trailer.

And last but not least, and on a much sadder note, Keredria says goodbye. Be sure to go on over and wish her well, if you haven’t yet. We will all miss her unique perspectives and humor in the community.

Hopefully there is a little something to keep everyone entertained in there! And, in case it wasn’t obvious, yes, I did read a lot about priest healing this week! No, I am not giving up Beru, I just wanted to understand priests a little better! Enjoy!

(I did painstakingly hand enter all the links in hopes that would keep the wordpress app from eating them, but if something isn’t linking properly, please let me know!)

Posted October 20, 2010 by Beruthiel in Community

Multiple Sources Are A Good Thing!   27 comments

One of the things that I love about the WoW blogosphere is the diversity of the community. We have all kinds of different people from different backgrounds blogging, and I happen to think that it’s fantastic. Everyone has something unique to offer, if for no other reason than they have different life experiences that give them a differing view on something. I love the fact that I can read five different posts on the same topic, and gain something different from each one of them.

Um…do you have a point here, Beru? Or is this just going to be one of your rambly, long winded, where’s the point posts?

I do have a point, and I happen to think it’s one that needs to be said. Lately, there have been a few things in the blogging community and more specifically in the resto druid community (and perhaps elsewhere too – I just tend to follow more resto druid blogs than others!), that have been bothering me. I have tried very hard not to rock the boat, or stir up trouble, because I happen to love the community. But time after time something is said or done that has bugged me. And itch that I’ve been trying not to scratch. Well it’s now at the point that I’m spending more effort trying not to scratch that itch than I think I should, and I’m not often one to mince words or bite my tongue, even though I often should.
Read the rest of this entry »

Posted October 6, 2010 by Beruthiel in /rant, Community

Community Spotlight   6 comments

As I find myself stumbling onto more great reading in the blogosphere, I thought that it might be time for another community spotlight! I know blogging right now can be tough, you are either in the beta and blogging about it, wishing you were in the beta and blogging about, or you are looking for non-beta topics and blogging about them.

Well – since I’m not in the beta, and reading about how they are massacring the resto tree makes me want to punt gnomes, I’ve been looking around for things to take my mind somewhere else, you know…for the safety of the gnomes.

Here are some of the things I’ve found!

Syll just did a really fun post chronicling the history of Priest outfits in WoW. Even if you are not a priest it’s still a pretty neat read!

Llani offers some pointers on customizing grid from scratch and using Clique.

Zal has a great series on what “hand me downs” you can pass on while leveling alts of any class.

Eight Paws discusses what levelers should look for while seeking out a “lowbie” guild.

Vixsin offered a great thought provoking piece on Guild Loyalty, and different ways to look at it.

Blacksen offered up his take on how successful he felt Blizzard was with the Wrath of the Lich King expansion.

And last but not least, nothing takes your mind of something better than good food! So don’t forget to get your submissions in for Angelya’s Harvest Festival Bake Off!

Have you read anything interesting or thought provoking lately? If so, be sure to let me know! I’m always on the lookout for new things :)

Posted September 10, 2010 by Beruthiel in Community

Granny Smith’s Shattrath Surprise   9 comments

In case you haven’t heard yet, Angelya is hosting a Harvest Festival Bake Off. She has asked her readers to create a submission of their favorite fall recipes using ingredients found around Azeroth, and give a small explanation as to why they have chose their recipe to share with the community.

This is my submission. I have called it “Granny Smith’s Shattrath Surprise” but it is better known around my household as my mother’s apple crisp. In our family she is practically famous for it. Anytime we go to a family gathering and we are asked to bring something, everyone requests mom’s apple crisp. I have picked up this tradition by also introducing it to those I know out here on the West Coast, and anytime Brade and I go to a gathering where we will be enjoying each others company and good food, I bring along mom’s apple crisp. Truth be told, I have no idea where she picked up the recipe, but it is one of my favorite things by far. And so, I’d like to share with all of you the joy that is Mom’s apple crisp.

Enjoy!

Granny Smith’s Shattrath Surprise

Ingredient List:

8 – 12 Goldenbark Apples (You will want a tart apple for this, I prefer Johnathan, but Granny Smith Apples work very well also).

2/3 cup fine sand (granulated white sugar)

1-2 cups simple flour

1/2 – 1 cup Lard’s Lunch (butter)

2 teaspoons Mild Spices (Cinnamon)

1/2 – 1 cup granulated sweet root (Dark Brown Sugar)

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • This recipe can be made in two sizes: Large (9 x 13 pan) or Small (9 x 9) pan.  I will provide directions for both sizes, along with a few chef’s notes, which will be annotated by a “*”.
  • Peel, core and slice apples.  You will need 12 apples for a large batch, and 8 apples for a small batch.  *Please note these are for small Jonathan apples.  If you are using today’s larger apples, you will not need as many.  I tend to use 5 large Granny Smith’s for a small batch. An apple corer/peeler/slicer works wonderfully for this!
  • Using a large bowl, combine apples with 2/3 cup fine sand, 4 tablespoons simple flour and 2 teaspoons of mild spices.  *I tend to add a touch extra cinnamon and a touch of extra sugar to mine.
  • Mix well until all of the apples are coated and place into baking pan.
  • Cut two tablespoons Lard’s Lunch, and place on top of apple mixture. *I tend to cut the butter in such a fashion that I can place a piece in each quarter and in the center of the pan.
  • In a separate bowl, mix topping using your hands or a pastry mixer.  The topping will be crumbly.
    • For a small pan combine 1 cup simple flour, 1/2 cup Lard’s Lunch and 1/2 cup granulated sweet root.
    • For a large pan combine 2 cups simple flour, 1 cup Lard’s Lunch and 1 cup granulated sweet root.
    • * I really enjoy the toping, so I tend to make a small batch – but like my mother – utilize the large pan’s topping mix for a little extra nom.
      • *You do not want your butter rock hard out of the fridge, but not fully softened either.  I partially soften the butter for the topping before mixing it.
  • Sprinkle topping over Apple mixture.
  • Bake 45 minutes, or until top is browned and apples are tender.
    • *I have found that a large batch may take closer to an hour to cook – but keep an eye on it so you do not burn the topping!
  • Remove from oven and serve!

The crisp is best served warm – and will reheat very well!  It is very tasty with a scoop of  Tigole and Furor’s Vanilla or Cinnamon Ice Cream!  

I hope that you enjoy!  Please let me know if you have any questions with regards to the recipe itself.

Warning – I will not be responsible for any injuries that are a result of a mad dash for seconds!

Posted September 6, 2010 by Beruthiel in Community, Just for Fun!

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 146 other followers