Over the weekend, I was struck by a very nasty bout of apathy. No matter what I sat down to do, I ended up feeling very “meh” about it. Personally, I blame the never ending rainy season…if I don’t get some sunshine soon *mumbles* So I decided that perhaps it was the perfect time to tend to an item that was on my “things to do before Cataclysm” list…get my Timbermaw rep to exalted.
And farm I did. I went from neutral to exalted all in the course of a day. I don’t know that I would necessarily recommend grinding all of it out over the course of one day…unless, of course, you are feeling quite apathetic and nothing else tickles your fancy! However, here are the results of my efforts!
Cute little bugger, isn’t he?! What is that you say? You’d like one of your very own? Well, why didn’t you just say so! Here is the advice that I have to impart on the adventure:
1) Pick out a few movies. Grab something you’ve not seen in awhile, or that you’ve been jonsing to see, and queue up your player. The grind does take a number of hours, so having something take your mind off of the doll drum is very helpful! I started with Rocky because I felt that the theme of the movie was appropriate: perseverance. That…and I got to run around the house all day yelling “ADRIAN” in my best Rocky voice =)
2) Pick a favorite farming spot and stick to it…mostly. You can farm Furlbogs in both Felwood and Winterspring. They will give the same amount of rep regardless of their venue (20 per kill, 60 for the pack leader guy). Personally, I favored those in northern Felwood because I got into a good “pattern” there where I could moonfire my way through the mobs, which are fairly packed in each of the little camps there, loot my goods, and by the time I finished the circuit, the first packs had generally respawned. I also liked this area, because the quest turn in guy is very close.
I found that none of the Winterspring areas could sustain my killing spree the same way this one spot in Felwood could, and that I ended up running around a lot when I tried to farm in Winterspring…which was just annoying to me. That being said, a number of my guildmates seemed to favor Winterspring. Maybe the white snow did it for them, or they killed faster than me and Fellwood lacked appeal. I’m not sure!
3) Don’t Compete. If someone else shows up to farm their Timbermaw rep as well, it’s not worth the hassle to compete with them, and ends up being highly unproductive. When this happened, which was fairly infrequently, I just went and did something else or farmed in a different area for a little bit. One of the times I went out for dinner, and one of the times I decided to bake cookies and went to winterspring, as the camp by Everlook had respawn times that worked pretty well with when I had to get up to put a fresh batch in!
4) Help that lowbie out! There are quests to kill both the Winterspring Furlbogs and the Fellwood Furlbogs. If someone came into the area and was clearly trying to quest, I just invited them into a group and let them know that I was just after headdresses/necklaces. The lowbie was grateful not to have to try and compete for their 18 kills with you, and to have their quest finished in short order. It also prevents the lowbie from throwing off your groove! It’s really a win/win for everyone.
5) Don’t forget the Quests! There will be two totems that drop, one in Felwood and one in Winterspring, from their respective Furlbogs. Each totem is worth 1200 rep, so do be sure that you turn them in! Additionally there will be quests in the tunnel that open up as your rep increases (one is a runecloth turn in) that award rep, so be sure to go in and do them as well.
6) Bags! Make sure that you go with your bags empty or have a quick way to sell things. I found that I really loved my Tundra Mammoth here, because I could do a run and as I was running back to the start of my circuit I could sell what I had looted. I made a decent amount of coin throughout the day as a result. However, full bags will just be annoying as you won’t be able to differentiate the sparkly loot that you’ve already picked up and what you might not have looted for a headdress/necklace.
7) Turn In in Bulk. The quest only requires 5 necklaces/headdresses per turn in, however I found it more efficient to wait until I had a stack of 30-50 to take my turn ins over (more if I was in Winterspring because the turn in guy is so far away). This also really helps once you hit revered and don’t get rep for the kills anymore (save the one chief in each area), for me, watching a big chunk of that green bar move towards exalted after a round of turn ins helped a ton!
As it turns out, there is a pretty cool story line explaining the corruption of the Furlbogs that you get to complete on the way. The grind really wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be, and I’m glad to have it finished just in case it gets removed in Cataclysm! And besides…who doesn’t want their own Furlbog protector? Seriously?!
Have you ground out your Timbermaw rep? Do you have any tips that you’d like to add for those trying to get it finished before Cataclysm gets here?