Archive for the ‘Strategy Planning’ Category
Monday. You know, I often ponder why everyone hates Monday so much. Sure, it’s the start of a new week. Sure, it means that the long haul to the weekend is just beginning. But I think I’d love it if someone had a much more positive outlook regarding Mondays. How about a TGIM button? No? Alright, fine. I suppose instead I’ll offer my (somewhat) weekly brain dump here. RIGHT AFTER I GO TO KINKO’S FOR TGIM BUTTONS FOR YOU ALL!
On Raiding and Mistakes
We did well this week, and I’m quite pleased with how we performed. Mostly. We snagged a heroic Shannox kill in roughly 10 pulls on Wednesday night and then started to put some work on Heroic Rhyolith Thursday evening. It did not go as well as we’d have liked it to go, and it was clear that we needed to shore some things up in our strategy. So there was lots of conversation about what to fix, how to fix it, etc. And we decided that we’d take two hours of time on Sunday to continue working Rhyolith. Read the rest of this entry »
Five Days. That is the amount of time I have until the mover arrives to cart all of my worldly belongings from point A to point B – leaving me to desperately stare at the boxes he leaves in his wake and hope beyond all hope that they will somehow magically unpack themselves. Why am I telling you this? Because I want to explain why I will be somewhat sparse over the next week or so!
The craziness starts tomorrow.
Much to Brade’s chagrin, I have decided that the plain cream walls of the new apartment are insufficient for my needs, and I am going to be adding a few accent walls. Which means painting. Which is great – because it’s the kind of DIY (do it yourself) project that Brade’s parents love, and we get to couple some expert help with visiting with his parents. It’s pretty much win/win. I’m going to be adding a deep red wall to our living area and a gold wall to our spare room – and perhaps to our bedroom (shhhhh, don’t tell Brade about that third wall – he can’t do anything but groan once the paint is up!).
While the ladies are playing with paint, the gents have their own tasks…invovling power tools (hah hah hah – that is my Tim Allen grunt, by the way). They are going to be bringing the television over and mounting it above the fireplace, as well as connecting all of the appropriate cords for our peripherals. I have even purchased a lovely cord hider thingy from The Container Store so that the cords aren’t a huge mess all over our walls!
Once they’ve finished that project, they will be jaunting over to Home Depot to pick up our new Grill. I enjoy grilling – and hopefully this one is small enough to satisfy Brade (Mr. “why do we need a grill that big”), and large enough that I can easily cook on it. This, my friends, is supposedly how that whole “compromise” thing works.
You see, I absolutely love to grill. And you know what we will be having for dinner while we unpack on Sunday? Probably McDonald’s. But Monday or Tuesday, I’m going to light that sucker up and make some steak, potatoes and corn on the cob. It will be delicious. Trust me on that one. This particular meal is one of my specialties🙂
(I’m still trying to convince Brade that I need that cute little 3 piece patio set I saw at Home Depot while I was looking at grills. I mean, a girl’s gotta have someone to rest her feet with a glass of lemonade while slaving away on dinner, right? RIGHT?!?!).
In addition Wednesday’s activities, we’ve still got to finish packing and get our mail changed (I swear, I meant to do this already). I did, however, take my own advice and schedule our internet set up to occur before the move – which means that Saturday post 4 pm is going to be a night out for dinner and movies (assuming we’ve finished packing…).
Between tonight at 4:00 pm when I pick up the keys (ok…more like 9:00 pm after we finish our raid) and Sunday at 9:00 am when the mover arrives, we will no doubt be ferrying anything we’d prefer to move ourselves to the new apartment (Computers, China, USRD (useless shit requiring dusting – aka knick knacks). Oh and buying more bubble wrap – you can never have too much bubble wrap. Seriously.
So if you see less of me than you might expect this week, that is why!
In other, non-moving type (and more WoW related) news, Brade and I secured tickets to Blizzcon again this year and will be in attendance. I’m looking forward to it, and I’m sure that I will blather on more about it as it gets closer to the date – and I’m not in the process of moving!
Last night I had my first date with Heroic Nef – and much to my disappointment, after 3 hours he rarely let me get past first base and made me buy dinner! Of course, after that date I am riddled with questions on what I (we) did wrong! Because I have so many questions that I’m trying to work through, and we barely had the chance to tickle phase 2 last night, this musings post is largely going to be a brain dump of my thoughts and questions. I’d love any feedback or insights that you may have and/or want to offer!
- One Crackle or Two in Phase 1? I’ve watched videos ad nauseam and the truth is – you see both pretty equally. Last night we had some pulls we pushed successfully with two crackles, but it was always very close. Conversely we had some pulls where Ony exploded. Something to consider is that we run 3 tanks (although our feral does some pretty beefy damage if he gets MC’d after he’s rounded up all the adds) and 7 healers (with our healing make up, I do not feel it’s reasonable for us to do it with 6 healers – and I believe our DPS is strong enough to support 7).
- Related to question 1 – if we take only one crackle will that negatively affect us in phase 3? I’m really concerned about pushing 81-83% of Nef’s health in phase 3. More specifically, I’m worried about keeping our kiter standing for that much of Nef’s health. Maybe I’m just being a nervous nelly about it – as DPS will only continue to increase as everyone grows more comfortable with managing the MC mechanic.
- Nef DPS vs. Ony DPS? How much do you allocate to each? I’m not entirely sure that we had it “right” last night – which means I’m not entirely sure that we can make an adequate assessment of our ability to push two crackles. I feel that we are missing something fundamental in when, how, and how much DPS to allocate to both Ony and Nef to facilitate the crackles. On our most successful two crackle pulls I moved 3 people to Nef as soon as he landed (2 hunters and a warrior), kept everyone else on Ony until she reached 50%, then had 6 DPS stay on Ony and everyone else switch to Nef.
- WTF is with Ony’s Threat? Seriously. I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this, or if it’s something that we are doing that makes her go all weird – but we’ve had the following happen with any number of tanks that have tanked Ony: Tank jumps down, pulls Ony and starts to move her to position. Hunters/Rogues MD Ony into tank. Omen clearly shows that tank has threat on Ony. Ony doesn’t care that the tank has threat and bounces around as if threat is on several people. In fact, one time last night I had Ony threat – and she thought I was very tasty indeed. At the point I had threat, I’d done almost no healing outside of a LB stack and a rejuv on the tank. Do other people have this problem? Is it an issue with how she reads threat? Is it an issue with how she reads MD threat? WTF is going on with it?
- Are you spamming “2” fast enough? I think we had some people far more successful with managing the MC buff than others. Those that were most successful mapped “2” to their mousewheel down and just spammed that in addition to mashing their “2” button. As we spent more time in phase 1, I definitely think people got better at handling this, which means their DPS increased, but I think some people still struggled. I have absolutely zero insight on this, as I break my MC as soon as it comes up. Anyone have tips on how to “mash 2 harder”? (And yes, we had traps/earthbind totems for everyone).
- To trinket or not to trinket? We’ve not made a definitive decision on this yet, but we have asked everyone to get their ass out to Tol’Barad and start working the dailys for tokens until we do decide. Last night, I’m not sure that we lost anyone to a crackle. We had a barrier and a raid wall to mitigate the damage – and even if we missed our barrier as long as people were topped up they survived. While I think that it would help mitigate damage, I’m not entirely sold on it being “necessary”. Things to consider: We will likely always have two disc priests and a raid wall – at worst we will have two of the three.
- Phase 2 healing? Even though we didn’t get a lot of phase 2 time last night, and the times we did get there we either blew people up or missed interrupts, the times we did get there had me question how to heal the phase. I’m wondering if it would be best to have a healer that focuses on the cinder people, and another that focuses on the non-cinder folks – cross healing as necessary. Does it need to be that dictated? Am I over complicating it?
Even though our date last night was a little lackluster, Nef did kindly ask me out again tonight. I’m hoping to spend more time in phase 2 tonight, which will, I’m sure, only create more questions! But to get there, I think I need to answer the first set of questions with regards to phase 1. I’m completely open to (and welcome!) any feedback and/or experiences that anyone may want to share🙂
Last night after our 25 man raid, our 10 man group got back together for some more HM LK pulls. We had roughly 90 minutes of time before our Disc Priest had to go to work. This is the first time ever that we’ve gotten back to back pulls on this encounter without having at least a week in between pulls. Every week we’ve had progression, but last night we had something new: consistency. The morale of our raid, including mine, from Sunday night to last night got a huge (much needed) boost.
We took a total of 7 pulls, and 5 of those 7 made it into the final phase. This isn’t the first time we’ve made it into this phase, quite the contrary we’ve been here sporadically over the past 3 or 4 weeks, but this is the first time we’ve pushed into the phase consistently. We had 5 pulls in a row where we made it into that final phase. And of those 5 pulls, only one of them fell apart because someone (or three someone’s, to be exact!) died during harvest soul. Hell, we are making it through several Harvest Souls even!
So, what is killing us? Vile Spirits.
Read the rest of this entry »
Dear Vengeful Shade, how I loathe thee. Let me count the ways!
If you guessed that I’ve started working on Hard Mode Lady Deathwhisper, you’d be right! We spent about 3 hours on Wednesday night with the fine lady, and another 2.5 last night with her. It was a learning experience, for what is proving to be our biggest challenge in Ice Crown Citadel (outside of the Lich King) to date.
Our first night of attempts was largely spent working through actually getting to phase 2, which required a fair amount of tweaking to our strategy, and by the end of the night we were getting there fairly regularly. But we were rough on the transition from phase 1 to phase 2. Even so we still saw roughly 60% on our first night. We had 37 vengeful shade explosions.
In our second night of attempts we were fairly successful in making it to phase two, and by the end of the night had smoothed out the phase 1 to phase 2 transition. We saw somewhere around 55% in our best attempt. We had 69 vengeful shade explosions. However, it should be noted that we made it into phase 2 significantly more than the prior evening.
Now, you may think that is no big deal…because in normal mode, it really isn’t. But the fine lady, in her heroic iteration, has her takes out her vengeance not only on the player that the shade hits, but on everyone within 20 yards of that player. And that vengeance is to the toon of 20k damage!
Just because I need a sounding board and need to think through my thoughts, let me walk through what’s working for us, what’s not and what changes I think we are going to make next week with her. I do think with just a little more tweaking we will be set for a kill.
Read the rest of this entry »
Living on the West Coast has some significant advantages when it comes to patch day. Most namely, the servers being live by the time I get off of work ;) I did not have to sit around and wait for them to go live while twiddling my thumbs, which was nice.
I was able to get most of my mods updated, but I am still missing a few that I don’t know if there are updates for (anyone know if oRA2 updated?). And for those using X-perl as your party and target frames, there is a fix for the “target” issue over on WoWAce, just download the most recent “beta” version, and you should be fine.
By the time I got logged in last night, the server had already been live for at least and hour, if not two. We had 40(!) people online in our guild. Most of them were already taking advantage of the new 5 man zone, I was still working out all my mods. In fairly short order, however, everything seemed to be functioning, and I seemed quite ready to raid. Read the rest of this entry »
I am going to start out these thoughts with something that it pains me to say because I am a huge proponent of finding a way to do an encounter without “stacking” your raid. Monolith has always had an odd mish mash of players, and we’ve done all kinds of things that people have said “can’t be done” with those players because we have found a way to alter our strategy to work with what we had available to us.
What I am about to say, I do not say lightly. However, it is a fact that having the following two classes in your raid for this encounter will make the ease of learning this encounter increase significantly. That is right, not just a little easier, but they make a large enough difference that I feel the need to be upfront and comment on it. Those two classes are: a Holy Paladin and a Shaman of any flavor. Sadly Beacon of Light and Bloodlust do make that much of a difference.
Can it be done without them? Yes. Is it significantly more difficult to do so? Yes.
Alright, now that we have that out of the way, let’s get down do the fight shall we? Read the rest of this entry »